2013 Butte 100 course
99.8 miles; ~16,600 ft. elevation gain; 10 aid stations
Overview: The Butte 100 course consists of a figure-eight format on a “North Loop” and “South Loop,” guaranteeing racers never see the same trail twice. All 100-milers are required to be at the start area at 5:45 a.m. for USA Cycling role call; the race will begin at 6:00 a.m.
Racers will begin heading north. 2012′s changes to the north loop have been met with rave reviews; a 5 mile change due to some extreme erosion is all that has changed from 2012. Although a bit less technical than years past, the 100-mile racers will find a fast track and nearly always challenge the course record! The North Loop runs 52.2 miles and approximately 6,156 feet of climbing over mainly dual-track jeep trails. The diversity of trail environs will still be very evident; the north loop consists of dense wooded area with buff packed dirt, progressing to decomposed granite, and eventually a high altitude desert environment slogging through heavy sand at times. The first portion of the race will test nearly every facet of pure mountain bike skill.
After crossing back through the Start/Finish area, 100-milers go south. The South Loop is a crowd favorite with epic amounts of single track on the Continental Divide Trail, with sweeping views of the area’s mountains, and unparalleled athletic tests such as the notorious Basin Creek climb.Stats for the south loop check in at 47.5 miles with an elevation Gain of around ~8544 ft.
Start to Aid Station #1
= 5.5 miles; +1,006 ft.; 5.5 mi. cumulative
Aid Station #1 to #2
= 7.7 miles; +1,407 ft.; 13.2 mi. cumulative
Aid Station #2 to #3
- packed to loose sand
Aid Station #3 to #4
Aid Station #4 to #5
= 7.7 miles; +1,686 ft.; 41.2 mi. cumulative
- notorious decent to gully crossing after railroad bed
- ~ 5.5 mile climb to Aid Station
Aid Station #5 to #6 (Start/Finish )
= 11.0 miles; +1,599 ft.; 52.2 mi. cumulative
- typically quite loose, sandy trail
- Incorporated dual tracks this year
- Riders must enter start/finish area and cross through timing chute
Start/Finish #6 to #7 (Thompson Park)
= 7.7 miles; +1,563 ft.; 59.9 mi. cumulative
- Cross through time gate in the start/finish area.
- Decomposed granite hard pack, gravel roads, ~1 mile concrete.
- Technical 2 mile Black Tail Descent. Great single track climb and descent across MT Hwy 2, through Thompson Park roads to the Aid Station
- Short ride on an asphalt connection, through a housing division to Black Tail Trailhead; 3 mi. climb and 3 mile descent to Hwy 2 crossing and Thompson Park area
Aid Station #7 to #8 (Basin Creek)
=8.8 miles; +1,192 ft.; 68.8 mi. cumulative
- Granitic to hard pack on climb, loose dirt to sand graduating to gravel road on descent
- ~3 mile climb to the chimney trail landmark. ~3 mile descent from single track to road- (watch for wash-outs) trail graduates to dual track, established double track, then gravel road into Basin Creek Aid station #8
Aid Station #8 to #9 (Highlands)
= 10.7 miles; +2,593 ft.; 79.5 mi. cumulative
- Sandy, loose, ugly ~6 mile Basin Creek Climb
- Join the CDT about 4 miles in- better trail conditions, epic flowy 4 miles on arguably the best section on the course.
- Note: a USA Cycling official will be enforcing racer cut-offs at this aid station. Those pulling in after 7:00 p.m. will no be allowed to continue, no exceptions.
Aid Station #9 to #10 (Hwy 2)
= 11.3 miles; +1,266 ft.; 90.8 mi. cumulative
- Endless amount of packed CDT singletrack.
- Section of trail know locally as “the 8 miles of hell” which, by all accounts, couldn’t be more inappropriately named after last year’s USFS trail rerouting-but the name stuck
- 3 steady climbs and descents all hovering around 8,000 feet of elevation
- Nice long descent to the Highway 2 aid station.
Aid Station #10 to Finish
= 9.0 miles; +1,344 ft.; 99.8 mi. cumulative
- ~3 mile climb out of A.S.
- ~4 miles on popular trail section, weaving through boulders and catching glimpses of Butte on the way- be aware of other trail users
- The trail will wrap around a small rise, go through a gate, and intersect with a road/bridge over interstate. Right Turn- Only 0.3 miles to the finish line!
|Start – AS1||5.5||5.5|
|AS1 – AS2||7.7||13.2|
|AS2 – AS3||9.3||22.5|
|AS3 – AS4||11.0||33.5|
|AS4 – AS5||7.7||41.2|
|AS5 – AS6||11.0||52.2|
|AS6 – AS7||7.7||59.9|
|AS7 – AS8||8.8||68.8|
|AS8 – AS9||10.7||79.5|
|AS9 – AS10||11.3||90.8|
|AS10 – Finish||9.0||99.8|